Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Mysore Christmas

Last year, I definitely thought i'd hit my limit with two Christmases in a row in Mysore. I missed my family, missed holiday cheer.

And yet here I am on Christmas day at Manila's airport, awaiting the first leg of travel that will end on my friend's doorstep in Gokulam early tomorrow morning.

I guess I am eager to get back, to practice with Sharath, to dig deeper into my own process. I guess what I realize is that I miss Mysore as well, that the depth of practice, the sense of community calls me to another kind of home, where a different kind of family awaits.

So I have split this precious holiday, spending the Eve, a big all night to-do in the Philippines, and the morning of Christmas Day with the family I was born into (also chosen to some extent) while setting off by midday to meet with the family I have consciously chosen, a motley crew of serious but also light hearted yoga practitioners, a humorous and occasionally stern teacher (the father figure to us all), a sweetly smiling though tough loving mama, and all the wonderful characters that make up the magic of Mysore.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kaz! I'm arriving in Mysore on Janauary 9th for my first practice period at the shala. Do you have any recommendations for finding lodging? I talked to Murthy and he said he'd help but I'm curious to know what the fair prices are for a single bedroom or if it's cheaper to find multiple students and split a house? My email address is king.matthewt@gmail.com and you can also find me on Facebook here: fb.com/bhaisajyaguru or fb.com/jangalayoga. Thank you for your insights, great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete